In line with the guidelines set out by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the new laboratory goals to feature hardware and software systems developed to help shipowners and operators combat the maritime industry’s growing cyber security risks.
To remind, IMO urges all shipping companies to demonstrate that cyber threats have been part of every vessel’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) risk assessment from 2021 onwards.
According to IMO’s guidelines on maritime risk management, “ships with complex cyber-related systems may require a greater level of care and should seek additional resources through reputable industry and government partners.”
Cyber security is not a product but an evolving target which needs constant monitoring, managing and updating. As a single vendor offering operating technology (OT) and cyber security, we recognize that managing cyber security is a careful balance between risk, functionality and cost.
…said Ahmed Hassan, Head of Cyber Security, ABB Marine & Ports.
ABB Marine & Ports’ new laboratory will offer cyber security support for shipping companies at all stages of digitalization and has the flexibility to meet various levels of cyber security requirements.
While some companies may only require a one-off assessment of existing OT installations, others may need a long-term approach with continuing support.
As ABB explained, the new services offered by the cyber security lab, will among others include:
- Reference architecture that targets network segmentation and segregation
- Enforcing security policies to zones and conduits
- Ability to monitor network traffic and act on vulnerabilities
- Ability to collect and manage security logs for the control system components
- ABB Ability™ Cyber Asset Inventory solution, which discovers and records system inventory, as well as notifies about vulnerabilities
- Event monitoring, which enables sending alerts to crew members as well as ABB Ability™ Collaborative Operations Centers worldwide
Our systems have been developed to address the very latest threats and solutions available in cyber risk management. The new cyber lab confirms our position as a front-runner in the field of maritime security compliance.
…as Hassan concluded.