Ten coal ships depart from Baltimore in week ended Sept. 27: cFlow


Ten coal-laden ships departed from Baltimore in the week ended Sept. 27, up from six from a week earlier, according to cFlow, Platts’ trade flow software.

The total dead-weight tonnage of the departures was 717,680 dwt, up from 340,418 dwt in the prior week, according to the data.

Six coal carriers stayed in the US, with three expected to load additional coal in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia, while two are headed to the Port of South Louisiana that are scheduled to arrive on Sept. 30, while the last one is expected to reach New York on Sept. 29.

Two more ships are headed to Europe, with one estimated to reach Palma, Spain, on Oct. 4, while another is expected to make it to Piraeus, Greece, on Oct. 15. The remaining two cargoes are traveling to Sepetiba, Brazil, and Port Said, Egypt, with estimated arrival dates of Oct. 8 and Oct. 14, respectively.

In the next week, seven coal ships are expected to arrive in Baltimore by Oct. 4, down from 10 from a week earlier, according to the data.

Six of the expected coal carriers are unladen, while one is laden. In the prior week, eight were unladen, one was partially laden, and one was laden.

S&P Global Platts assessed FOB Baltimore 6,900 kcal/kg NAR 3% sulfur coal, for 15-60 day loading, at $57.65/mt on Sept. 28, up $3.40 from Sept. 25.

In 2019, Baltimore, the second-largest coal-exporting port in the US, shipped out 18.93 million mt of coal, down from 19.53 million mt in 2018, according to US Census Bureau data. Over 52%, or 9.9 million mt, of the coal shipped out of Baltimore was bituminous coal, while the remaining 48% was metallurgical coal.

Through the first seven months of 2020, nearly 7.99 million mt of coal was exported out of Baltimore, including 4.76 million mt of bituminous coal, down from 12.21 million mt and 6.72 million mt, respectively, in the same period a year ago.
Source: Platts



Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *