Rhenus taking over two bulk terminals in Amsterdam

German logistics major Rhenus has sealed a deal with utility-backed JERA Global Markets to acquire Rietlanden Terminals, which operates two dry bulk terminals at the Port of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. 

Rietlanden has terminals at Afrikahaven and Amerikahaven in Amsterdam, with a combined storage capacity of around 2.6m tons, specialising in commodities such as coal and scrap metal. It also provides additional services ranging from inland waterway shipping to handling sea freight.

The company has grown to become a major player in the transshipment of coal on behalf of power plants in Germany; however, handling of coal will be disallowed from 2030 as part of the port’s sustainability strategy.

Rhenus said the move will bolster its European network of ports through this participation and will re-develop the terminals to cope with a future without coal.

Under the agreement, Rhenus’ bidding entity Rhenus Beteiligungen International will first take a 49.99% shareholding in Rietlanden, with the remaining 50.01% to be handed over in 2027.

“We are confident that the Rhenus Group is well-placed to maximise the value of Rietlanden Terminals, particularly from 2030 and beyond, when coal handling will be disallowed in the Port of Amsterdam,” said Justin Rowland, CEO of JERA Global Markets.

With the addition of Rietlanden in Amsterdam, by 2027, Rhenus will double its capacity in terms of port terminal area in the Netherlands. 

“This investment will be an outstanding opportunity for future growth at the Port of Amsterdam and to further expand our presence in the Netherlands in addition to our multipurpose terminals in Rotterdam”, stated Peter van der Steen, managing director of Rhenus Port Logistics in the Netherlands.

The terminal in Afrikahaven, which specialises in handling and mixing various types of coal, will be re-developed into a multi-user terminal that focuses on storing and transhipping more environmentally friendly bulk commodities, added van der Steen.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *