According to APM Terminals, this is the largest investment in the Port of Rijeka’s history. Over the next two years, more than $214 million will be invested in the first phase, with an additional $193 million planned for the second phase over the next 10 years.
In November 2021, APM Terminals and Enna Logic signed a 50-year concession agreement to design, construct and operate the Rijeka Gateway container terminal.
APM Terminals owns 51% of the project company and Enna Logic owns the remaining 49%.
Once completed, the terminal will have a 680-metre long berth, an annual processing capacity of 1.05 million teu and will be able to serve vessels up to 24,000 teu.
“The construction of the terminal will have a positive impact on the local economy. With increased economic activity and engagement of local partners, more than 300 new jobs are expected to be created within the terminal alone, whilst indirect employment in the region will be many times higher.
“In addition, Rijeka Gateway will be the first port on the Adriatic with remote-controlled, electrical container cranes, and with a quay depth of 20 metres, we are ready to welcome some of the world’s largest container vessels,” said CEO and Chairman of the Management Board of Rijeka Gateway, Koen Benders,
With a concession of 50 years, the terminal will act as a primary access point to hinterland nations and markets for Croatia.
Rijeka Gateway marks the 66th terminal in the portfolio of APM Terminals and will be the first terminal in the Adriatic region to be operated with remote-controlled electric container handling equipment.
Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved. Seatrade, a trading name of Informa Markets (UK) Limited.